Extra-Legal Vehicle or Load

A commercial vehicle requesting to travel on E-470 that meets Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) definition of an Extra-Legal vehicle or load must obtain an Oversize/Overweight Permit issued by E-470 Public Highway Authority.
Information for Extra-Legal Vehicles Travelling on E-470
  • Apply for and carry the E-470 Public Highway Authority Oversize/Overweight Permit issued for the trip.
  • If the vehicle is not registered under an ExpressToll account or doesn't have an ExpressToll transponder click here. To learn more how ExpressToll and LicensePlateToll works click here.
  • A vehicle that exceeds CDOT's defined size and weight restrictions may not travel on E-470 during the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., and during inclement weather.
  • Pilot car is required for a vehicle 12' wide and over.
  • If a vehicle's Gross Vehicle Weight is over 80,000 pounds a detailed description of axle configuration and weight is required.
  • A vehicle that exceeds CDOT's defined size and weight restrictions unable to maintain a minimum speed of 50 mph on E-470 must travel between 12:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.
  • E-470 is not a designated HAZMAT route. For more information contact Colorado State Patrol Hazardous Materials Section at (303) 273-1900.
  • A lowboy must be used to transport heavy construction equipment.
Permit Process
  • Allow 48 business hours for permit process.
  • Applications are processed Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • E-470's office will not review applications on weekends or State recognized holidays.
  • Applications received after 3:00 p.m. are not guaranteed to be processed the same business day.
  • Vehicle's CDOT Transport Permit number is required on the application.
E-470 Oversize/Overweight Permit
Contact Information
  • Office: (303) 537-3700
  • Fax: (303) 537-3472
  • Email
CDOT Information